Sunday, October 7, 2007

A question for you

Late last night I reached the heel of my first sock for SSoS. It is done with short row shaping using double wraps [something I've never encountered before]. After six attempts today, I finally made it to the end of the heel! [the wraps on the purl rows gave me the most grief].

But, now I'm not a happy camper knitter. I have two huge holes where the leg joins the heel, one on either side and one is much worse than the other. How can I stop this from happening? Do I have to frog back to the beginning of the heel and start again? *sigh*

Help please!

5 comments:

Kate (Kiss My Frog) said...

When you begin to work in the round, pick up a stitch or two in the space at either end of the short-row shaping to close up the hole. Remember to decrease these stitches when working the next round, so that you will once again have the correct number of stitches.

Rose Red said...

I wish I could help with the holes - I've never done short row heels - but since toe-up socks are one of my challenges, I guess I'll have to try it at some stage!

J3SS said...

I agree with Kate. I've been doing short-row heels on my last several socks, and I find that picking up one or two stitches between the end of the short row and the beginning of the top of the foot (where you re-establish the round) really helps. best luck!

Lynne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynne said...

Thank you Kate and Jess; I will frog back to the beginning of the leg (about six rounds) and give your suggestion a try.

Thanks again.