Monday, January 28, 2008

Toe-Up Jaywalkers

Toe-Up Jaywalkers

These are my fourth completed pair and I'm still on target for my goal of one pair per month! I know I'm a little late to the Jaywalker party. I'd previously made a start on these a few months back but frogged them when I realized they were never going to fit over my ankle. (The pattern is notorious for its lack of stretch.) I later decided to use the toe-up mod instead, so I could better judge the fit and length as I went along. The yarn is Vesper Sock Yarn in the "Tartan" colourway, which I thought would suit the zig-zagginess of the pattern nicely. I knitted them two-at-a-time on two 2.75mm circs, and I used Judy's Magic Cast-On to start the toe. The zig-zag pattern is actually really easy to do and takes two seconds to memorize, but it does make for some odd pooching where you switch from zig-zag to straight stockinette. The worst part of the construction was trying to figure out where to start the gusset increases; the pattern doesn't really tell you so I had to guess and I ended up reknitting it three times. The reverse turned heel is very nice though, and it seems to be a good fit. I'll give these an 8 out of 10!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I think these socks are absolutely stunning!

Carol said...

Terrific!!!!!!! What beautifully even knitting you do. The colour is a brilliant choice.

Rose Red said...

Love this yarn - fantastic choice for jaywalkers.

Vanessa M said...

Those are really nice! The yarn and pattern marry brilliantly.

Diantee said...

Great socks - amazingly even stripes - look really good.