Thursday, December 27, 2007

Nutkin!

This is my first post on the Southern Summer of Socks blog, I'm a bit slow off the bat. But I'. back in the sock knitting game again, thankfully!



I can't believe that I have shied away from doing a long tail cast on before! I've always done the only cast on I knew, I think it's the cable cast on, for everything, including socks (not very elastic)! Well I wanted to start Nutkin using my Hollyday STR that is just...sublime....and the design uses a hem, cast on with the long tail cast on. So I bit the bullet and looked through Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks and followed her instructions. Talk about a light bulb moment!!!! I also used her method for joining in th round of slipping the first cast on ststch to the right hand needle and passing the last cast on stitch over. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up. I've just usually joined the round by stitching the first stitch and closing the gap at the end when I weave the ends in. I'm feeling a bit chuffed by my progress. Ahh finally back to the sock knitting!!! It's good to be home!

1 comment:

Granny said...

I only know how to cast on using the long tail method and I join my rounds like you're describing - passing the first stitch to the right needle and then putting the last stitch in its place on the left needle. I try to cast on kinda loosely so I'll have a bit more stretch at the very top.